The Oak Hill area offers two distinct trails, the Oak Hill Trail, and the Plateau Trail.
Naturally, in orienteering, we aim to get off trail for some of the controls, but this event will also feature 2 courses that are all on-trail, especially designed to bridge the gap between trail runners and orienteering.
So why not come out, enjoy some trail running, and learn to orienteer at the same time?
Cuyahoga Valley National Park is a United States national park that preserves and reclaims the rural landscape along the Cuyahoga River between Akron and Cleveland in Northeast Ohio. The 32,572-acre (131.8 km2) park is administered by the National Park Service and is the only national park in Ohio. It was established in 1974 as the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area and was designated as a national park in 2000.
The Trail-O courses consists of a classic 5km course, as well as a 6.5km course, all on trail, with controls using the e-punch system to check in at each control. The map is pre-printed, and you’ll be able to easily navigate either loop.
In addition to the trail orienteering, we will also have standard courses, ranging from beginner (short distance, easy navigation) to advanced (longer distances, advanced navigation), featuring WHITE, YELLOW, ORANGE, GREEN, and RED orienteering courses. All maps will be pre-printed, along with clue cards. There will also be two courses for those that want it, in the shape of stars (to celebrate the 4th of July theme of Stars & Stripes)!
- WHITE (classic, on trail, for beginners, about 2km)
- YELLOW (classic, mostly on and just off trail, for experienced beginners and youth, about 2-3km)
- ORANGE (classic, intermediate level orienteer, about 3-4km), with multi-use controls (where one control is used multiple times, often from different directions.)
- GREEN (classic, advanced level orienteer, about 4-6km), multiple direction changes, and multi-use of controls.
- RED (classic, advanced level orienteer, about 5-8km), multiple direction changes, and multi-use of controls.
- STARS (classic, for intermediate-to-advanced level orienteer), with lots of criss-crossing the map.
Learn more about the different levels, and what they mean, and what skills you should be able to master for each.
- Event Director – Mark Stypczynski
- Course Design & Setter – Andreas Johansson
- Registrar – Bob Turanchik
- Starter – Karen Steckner
GPS Coordinates of Start Location: 41.219203, -81.577358
Direct Link to Location Map: https://goo.gl/maps/fbuTzdFN2SB2
3881 Oak Hill Rd
Peninsula, OH 44264
- Registration starts at 11:30 AM. Last start is 1PM (no starts after 1PM allowed).
- On site, at the door, as follows – $5 for members, $10 for non-members (per map / or team), cash only.
- Need membership renewal, or would like to sign up? Pay for 2017 membership here.