First, let me thank Stark Parks for inviting us to partner with them on introducing orienteering to their public. In February, we conducted an evening lecture on the sport of orienteering and Sunday marked our first land event offered in their parks (we’ve used Walborn Reservoir previously).
In our 40th year, it is still exciting to inaugurate new venues.
Next, thank you to Bob Boltz for the many hours that he put in making NEOOC’s initial map of the area. Bob’s skill just keeps getting better and better. He’s significantly cut the time it takes him to arrive at a suitable orienteering map from the time of concept to the time of feet running the trails, fields and thickets, enjoying…. And thank you to Ivan Redinger, a former neighbor of Sippo for being the primary liaison with the park’s administrators and staff.
Finally, thank you to the day’s volunteers:
- Ivan Redinger, Course Design and Setting (First time Course Design, I believe!!! Great
- Stephen Johnson, Event Director (First time Event Director!!! Great job!)
- Wendy & Matthew Johnson, Registration
- Olivia Johnson, Ken Witalis, Geno Gruszczynski, David John, Starters
- Howard Montgomery, Finisher
- Ivan Redinger, Charlotte Chung, Howard Montgomery, John Hoffman, Olivia Johnson, Ken Witalis, Control Collection
- Weather: mostly sunny; temperature topping out at 64 (in essence: extreme hardship; we understand why some of you didn’t make it.)
- Attendance: 59 participants braved the elements
- Track: Mud-slick spots in places, but mostly firm.
White - Beginner 1 Moore & Beck 40:00:00 2 Jonathan Morris & Co. 43:00:00 3 Nate Hershman 44:00:00 4 Cathy & Tom Winters 55:00:00 5 Gina Cook & Co. 63:00:00 6 Matthew Moser 78:00:00
Yellow - Advanced Beginner Course: 13 controls 2.3 km 1 Alex, Eva, Jude NEO 36:25 2 Wendy & Oliva Johnson 45:34 3 Wes & Frank Mahne 47:13 4 M. Wohlmead 53:57 5 Chuck St.John 57:26 6 Fran Kern 57:28 7 Tomlinson 63:59 8 Tom-Jack Loya 77:21 Bettac Family DNF (did not punch 39) David John DNF (punched 39 instead of 40 and vice versa) Orange - Intermediate Course: 14 controls 3.9 km 1 Sanae Rogers 65:28 2 Johnson & Witalis 77:40 3 Jason Karger 99:50 4 M. Wohlwood 123:22 Green - Short Advanced Course: 16 controls 4.6 km 1 Andreas Johansson 45:09 2 Fred Mailey NEO 57:18 3 Vera Yodivina 72:48 Dominic Conte DNF (No Start punch) Red - Longer Advanced Course: 18 controls 5.2 km 1 Todd Pownell 50:47 2 Bob Boltz 52:40 3 Caleb Freeman 67:27 4 Dan Freeman 67:36 5 Charlotte Chung 70:27 6 Rich Perrenoud 73:14 7 Randy Mitchell NEO 77:45 8 John Hoffman 79:09 9 Gil Even 83:06 10 Richard Davies 103:27