We were just getting started with 30 pre-registered scouts, when 12 more showed up to learn about orienteering! A few more tables and chairs later, and we were all learning about the basics of orienteering. Some of the requirements for the Boy Scout Merit Badge for orienteering were covered, and scouts practiced taking compass bearings, recording their pace count, learned about land forms, orienteering map features, and some of the basic techniques an orienteer uses while on a course.
After lunch, we headed outside for actual practice around campus, and scouts navigated one of two courses at the yellow level, with a few controls in the woods, off path. All scouts returned from the first endeavor wanting more, so we sent them back out on the alternative course. Much fun was had, and lots of learning took place, with sessions afterwards discussing the finer details of orienteering and map reading with merit badge counselors and NEOOC club members.
Thank you to all the volunteers who made this event happen (see below) and thank you to KCE (Kenston Community Education office) for helping us organize the event on the Kenston campus.
Thank you to all the volunteers, club members, and KCE!
- Event Director, Course Designer, and Lead Instructor – Andreas Johansson
- Merit Badge Counselor, Scout Guru, and Pizza Champion – Ivan Redinger
- Scout Wranglers – Sanae Rogers, Dave Dysle
- Registrar & Greeter – Richard Toth
- e-Punch Guru & Data Wizard – Fred Mailey
- All the Troop Leaders that helped manage a fine day of learning for your scouts.
- All the parents that stayed with your kids, and helped us make it a great day!
- Instructional Slides (Google Slides)
- Merit Badge Orienteering Booklet (the booklet we used)
- Orienteering Back of Map Learn How To (back of map stuff)
- Merit Badge – Orienteering (all requirements, etc.)
- Introduction to Orienteering / NEOOC (video with Andreas on the basics)
*Results reflect only 9 controls, as one (#55) had an issue with data retention, and we removed it from the results below.
Scout A Course: 9 controls 1.7 km 50 m 1 Team Storm 16:57 2 Andreas Johansson 17:41 3 Jimmy and Co - T122 17:54 4 Austin and Co 17:59 5 Donald Trump 21:09 6 T402 25:56 7 David and Co - T236 29:12 8 Scorepions 32:11 9 Scorepions 32:14 10 Jimmy and Co - T122 36:20 11 Jack Wendy Logan 37:28 12 Mckenzie and Co 45:09 13 Team Storm 48:04 Scout B Course: 9 controls 1.7 km 50 m 1 Phillips and Co 11:46 2 T402 15:18 3 Phillips and Co 18:22 4 William Liam Robt 20:14 5 David and Co - T236 22:39 5 Mckenzie and Co 22:39 7 Austin and Co 23:18 8 Alison and Co 27:01 9 Donald Trump 33:14 10 Claus and Co 38:46 11 Lander Burk John 54:09