Join NEOOC’s mapping guru Bob Boltz and a few others to learn more about course design, and what it takes to prepare great, but appropriately challenging, maps for all participants – from beginner to advanced orienteers. Topics will include basic design principles, designing for the beginner and advanced orienteer, and how to check your design for trouble areas. You’ll learn how to use Purple Pen, a course design software, as part of the workshop.
Workshop Objective: Introduce experienced orienteers to the task of designing appropriate courses for all levels of orienteering.
The Course Design workshop features both hands on work with maps (old school) – handy for when beginning to think about an event, and instruction on the Purple Pen software (a freely available course design program used by many course designers.) We’ll also cover how to properly mark a course (during preparation), and how to hang and retrieve controls (part of setting a course).
Feel free to bring your own laptop with Purple Pen loaded already (see link below), and any old maps you may have for discussion and review. Bring some note taking materials, and be ready to ask lots of questions. A red pen or marker helps in marking the maps. A red, thin, permanent marker makes a great tool for course design!
- 9:30 – 11:30 – Course design basics, etc. (classroom)
- 11:30 – 12:30 – Lunch (on your own) (lots of available locations within 5 minutes)
- 12:30 – 3:00 – Purple Pen / Design a course using course design software
DATE & TIME & EVENT FEE
- Saturday, March 18th, 2017
- 9:30 AM – 3:00 PM (1 hr lunch on your own)
- $10 for NEOOC Members / $15 for non-members (+ minimal processing fee from Eventbrite)
- (includes donuts & coffee, instruction, handouts, practice maps, etc.)
Please let us know here if you plan on attending:
Kenston Intermediate School’s Innovation Lab
17419 Snyder Rd, Chagrin Falls, OH 44023
- Workshop Lead & Facilitator – Bob Boltz
- Assistant Facilitator – Andreas Johansson
This workshop is mainly indoors, but may venture outside if the weather cooperates!