What is Orienteering?
Welcome to the world of orienteering! If you’re looking for a new adventure, a lifetime sport that will take you, literally, off the beaten path, constantly challenge you, and let you discover new things about yourself and what you can do, orienteering may be the sport for you.
Orienteering is often called the thinking sport because it involves map reading and decision-making in addition to a great workout. It’s a sport that everyone can enjoy, regardless of age or experience. The competitive athlete can experience the exhilaration of running through the woods at top speed, while the non-competitive orienteer can enjoy the forest at a more leisurely pace. Most events provide courses for all levels, from beginner to advanced, and the sport has been adapted for small children and people in wheelchairs.
If you love maps, exploring, and the great outdoors, try orienteering. You’ll be hooked for life!
Join us to learn more about the sport of orienteering, and learn how to use a map and compass to navigate around the campus, while getting some exercise. We’ll provide instruction and guidance, and have all levels of courses available, from short & easy to longer & more difficult. Map Included / compass for loan.
All levels welcome. No experience needed.
Several instructors from NEOOC will be on hand to teach the basics of orienteering – map reading, compass skills, and reading the lay of the land. All are accomplished orienteers and typically run expert level courses themselves and all have a deep passion for furthering the sport and teaching others.
NOTE!!! Don’t need instruction? No worries – come run the sprint courses on this beautiful campus, where plenty of challenges await even the most experienced orienteer!
Date & Time
- Sunday, March 13, 2016
- Registration at 11 AM, with starts at noon, and blocks of instruction starting every 15 minutes.
Kenston Local Schools / Intermediate School Building (click for large map)
17419 Snyder Road
Chagrin Falls, OH 44023
Follow signs to registration / instruction area.
Registration is online through the Kenston Community Education’s portal, or you can mail it in. On-site registration will also be available. NEOOC Members should use the code ‘NEOOC’ at checkout to receive a discount.
- Click here to register online!
- Paper registration / mail in!
- Registration on-site will also be available.
***You can also register on-site the day of. You’ll have to fill in separate paperwork for KCE in addition to the regular NEOOC forms.***
- WARMUP SPRINT – 1.0 km / 4 controls / 4 route choices*
- WHITE – 1.9 km / 9 controls / 0 route choice* (short distance / easy navigation)
- YELLOW – 2.8 km / 14 controls / 1 route choice* (shorter distance / easy navigation)
- ORANGE – 4.2 km / 18 controls / 4 route choices* (medium distance / intermediate navigation)
- BROWN – 3.5 km / 15 controls / 5 route choices* (medium distance / advanced navigation)
- GREEN – 5.1 km / 22 controls / 6 route choices* (longer distance / advanced navigation)
- RED – 7.9 km / 25 controls / 17 route choices* (long distance / advanced navigation)
*Route Choice – where you can pick at least two distinct routes to the next control.
**Run the warmup sprint course, and get a prize!